martes, 1 de mayo de 2012

May Foreign Film Festival and World Cinema Series Links

Klaus Kinski vs. Nature in Werner Herzog's 1972 Aguirre, the Wrath of God

Want to share a movie review for my Foreign Film Festival or Caroline's World Cinema Series in May?  Please let our unpaid interns know about your posts (or missed links from previous months in 2012) below.

May Foreign Film Reviews
  • Berlin Alexanderplatz (dir. Rainer Werner Fassbinder, Germany, 1980; reviewer: Richard)
  • Bolivar Is Me [Bolívar soy yo] (dir. Jorge Alí Triana, Colombia, 2002; reviewer: Guy Savage)
  • Capricious Summer (dir. Jirí Menzel, Czechoslovakia, 1968; reviewer: Dwight)
  • Happy Happy [Sykt lykkelig] (dir. Anne Sweistsky, Norway, 2010; reviewer: Guy Savage)
  • In the Mood for Love [Fa yeung nin wa] (dir. Wong Kar-wai, China, 2000; reviewer: Fiona)
  • Le Bonheur (dir. Agnès Varda, France, 1965; reviewer: Obooki)
  • Rome Open City [Roma città aperta] (dir. Roberto Rossellini, Italy, 1945; reviewer: Richard)
  • The City and the Dogs [La ciudad y los perros] (dir. Francisco J. Lombardi, Peru, 1985; reviewer: Guy Savage)
  • The Conformist [Il conformista] (dir. Bernardo Bertolucci, Italy, 1970; reviewer: Séamus)
  • The Doll [Lalka] (dir. Wojciech Jerzy Has, Poland, 1968; reviewer: Dwight)
  • The Hour-Glass Sanatorium [Sanatorium pod klepsydra] (dir. Wojciech Jerzy Has, Poland, 1973; reviewer: Dwight)
  • Woman in the Dunes [Sunna no onna] (dir. Teshigahara Hiroshi, Japan, 1964; reviewer: Rise)
  • World on a Wire [Welt am Draht] (dir. Rainer Werner Fassbinder, Germany, 1973; reviewer: Obooki)

10 comentarios:

  1. Aguirre is one of my all time favorites.

    Reviewed another Menzel movie: Capricious Summer. A screwball sex comedy without the screwball and without the sex.

    ResponderBorrar
    Respuestas
    1. Congrats on contributing the earliest review of the month again, Dwight--I especially appreciate it because these posts are such eyesores without any links attached! Aguirre is an all-time favorite of mine as well, but I have to say I appreciate it even more after having seen all the behind the scenes stuff about it in Herzog's My Best Fiend. Tremendously amusing!

      Borrar
  2. There, I put up a review of Le Bonheur, by Agnes Varda.

    More excitingly, I found in the library a film called World on a Wire - a TV-film of the science fiction variety, a sort of proto-The Matrix apparently, directed by ... er ... Rainer Werner Fassbinder. Virtual reality from 1973!!

    ResponderBorrar
    Respuestas
    1. Thanks for the Varda entry, Obooki--another reader was absolutely raving about her filmography last month, so I'll look forward to your post with more than the usual interest even. And what a "trip" to learn about that Fassbinder discovery of yours! I guess I shouldn't be so surprised given that I'm only really familiar with F's two or three most famous titles, but still...

      Borrar
  3. For goodness sake, I thought at first glance that you'd posted a picture of my grandfather!

    ResponderBorrar
    Respuestas
    1. LOL, Bellezza! I do hope you mean the crazy German in conquistador garb and not the monkey, though. :D

      Borrar
  4. I have attempted to put down my thoughts on viewing Bertolucci's The Conformist

    ResponderBorrar
    Respuestas
    1. Thanks, Séamus--really enjoyed your post on that fine film!

      Borrar
  5. I had a slight break from foreign films but finally got back on track with a Chinese film called "In the Mood for Love" from 2000, directed by Kar Wai Wong.

    http://popcornpictures.wordpress.com/2012/05/22/film-review-in-the-mood-for-love-2000/

    ResponderBorrar
    Respuestas
    1. Fantastic, Fiona--that's one of my favorites! Will be by to check out your post soon (thanks for letting me know about it). Cheers!

      Borrar